Sunday, June 2, 2002
Last modified at 4:04 p.m. on Saturday, June 1, 2002
© 2002 - The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
Where To Recycle
With landfills filling up across the country, some people may wonder how they can recycle their trash.
The following places accept recyclables:
City Drop-Off Sites
- Northside Recycling Drop-Off Center -- 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays, 324 Municipal Drive, east of Interstate 27.
- Southside Recycling Drop-Off Center -- Open 24 hours. 1631 84th St, west of Avenue P.
- Elmwood Recycling Drop-Off Center -- 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays, 2002 Elmwood Ave., east of Frankford Avenue.
- Mobile Recycling Units -- Lowe's Marketplace, 26th Street and Boston Avenue, and United Supermarket, 112 N. University Ave. Recycles all but yard waste and large items.
- Information on recycling requirements: 775-2491.
- Rinsed No. 1 and No. 2 plastic containers with caps removed (look for numbers in recycling triangle symbol on the container)
- New rules on recycling No. 1 and No. 2 plastics include separating plastic containers into white, opaque containers and colored containers. Also, margarine tubs, motor oil containers and medical prescription containers cannot be recycled
- Rinsed aluminum and tin cans
- Clean newspapers, computer paper, white ledger paper and corrugated cardboard
- Used automobile oil, oil filters and yard waste (no commercial yard contractors)
- Clear and colored glass.
- Large pieces like mattresses and furniture also will be accepted to take to the landfill
- A-1 Metal Recycling -- 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 1909 Ave. G. Recycles all metals except car bodies and appliances containing Freon. 747-2171.
- Commercial Metals-Lubbock -- 8 a.m.- 5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays and 8 a.m.-noon Saturdays, Interstate 27 and County Road 58. Recycles copper, aluminum, brass, stainless steel, iron, appliances, lawn mowers and car bodies. 746-5025.
- Community Metals Recycling -- 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Fridays and 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays, 508 N. University Ave. Recycles copper, brass, aluminum, lead, car radiators and car batteries. 763-2267.
- I-27 Recycling Center & Public Scales -- 8 a.m-6 p.m. Mondays-Fridays and 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays, 6201 N. Interstate 27. Recycles concrete, shingles and roofing materials, wooden shingles, palates, fences, trees and brush for composting. No painted wood or metal roofing items. Cost: $20 a ton. 741-0611
- Jarvis Metals Recycling Inc. -- 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 8 a.m.-noon Saturdays, 7825 Olive Ave. Recycles all metals, car batteries, appliances, bathtubs, ice boxes without Freon, lawn mowers, car bodies, radiators, heater cores, plate and structural metals, electric motors, cardboard, computer paper, old newspaper and assorted paper goods. 744-7091.
- Onis Crowder Recycling Center -- 21st Street and Avenue X in Heart of Lubbock Neighborhood Garden. Recycles empty egg cartons, plastic and paper grocery bags, clean glass jars up to 16 ounces with lids, rubber bands, used panty hose, school supplies and motel-sized hygiene items. Items benefit South Plains Food Bank.
- Timber We'll Take It -- 6:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Fridays and 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays, 2511 114th St. Recycles organic matter like trees, shrubs, good soil, wood without nails and grass clippings. 745-4920.
- Tres Pesetas Inc. -- 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 602 Erskine St. Recycles tires for a disposal fee from $1 to $25 depending on tire size. 749-3800.
- Vista Fibers -- 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 2002 Weber Drive. Recycles white paper, colored paper, brown and white computer paper, newspaper and cardboard. 762-1525.